The 501 Forum

Tactical Operations Center
It is currently December 15th, 2017, 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: March 5th, 2016, 1:16 pm 

I live in Michigan and less than 10 miles from Selfridge Air National Guard base. Not only is this the home for the "tank Killer" aircraft (Hogs), it is also home to various helicopter groups. On any given day, there are helicopters flying east to west over my house from bases near Grand Rapids and Grayling on the west side of the state. I can hear them coming before seeing them. The large Chinooks sometimes fly in tandem and shake my windows when passing overhead. I've also seen a few Huey's and Blackhawks from the military as well as the tiny bubble choppers from the news stations pass overhead. It's almost like a shrine to be worshiped when they come by...I always stop what I'm doing and stare at them until they pass. If I'm working in the yard with the grass or shoveling snow, I've also raised my rake or shovel overhead to see if I could get them to land in my yard. My wife thinks this is funny! I think I would actually shit if one of them began an approach toward me. I've also heard from other vets that they do the same thing. So, I'm not the only grunt who might appear to missing a card or two from the deck. This reminder was an important part of my life and no matter what I do, I can't stop doing this.

Anybody else out there doing this? What's your thoughts?

PostPosted: March 24th, 2016, 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Back in the early 80's I lived in an apartment right near an Army Reserve hdqt's. I worked the grave yard shift then and got off work at 7am. Me and 3 other namvet friends would gather at a nearby bar that opened at 7am. All day long occasional Huey's would fly over that area apparently heading toward and back from Ohare airport. On nice days we would sit in the beer garden and the sound of those blades had us all standing in unison waving our shirts and jackets. We would climb on top of the picnic benches or run into the parking lot waving our arms like crazy. I doubt if the pilots ever saw us but that distinctive sound made our day every time it happened. To this day I can still recognize the sound of a Huey from that of a commercial chopper immediately. Totally unique... kinda like a Harley 8-)