The 501 Forum

Tactical Operations Center
It is currently December 14th, 2017, 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Christmas in Nam 1968
PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

On the afternoon of December 22nd, 1968 I foolishly tried to pick up a 50 pound case of TNT while still wearing my ruck sack and PRC25. I thought I had been shot as a searing pain hit me in the lower back. I went down like a ton of bricks writhing on the ground in agony. Since my injury wasn't life threatening a medivac wasn't called for and the resupply ship due in about 20 minutes would pic me up and take me back to LZ Sandy. The medic wouldn't give me any pain relief because he wanted a doctor to see me first so I had to tough it out. Back at LZ Sandy I was diagnosed with a lower back sprain and given some muscle relaxers and pain killers. For a couple of days I could barely get around. I tried to put a positive spin on it by thinking I would be in the rear for Christmas and see a USO show. Christmas morning I reported to the med tent as usual and was looking forward to a day of partying as I had already collected my Christmas packages that had been held in the rear area. To my surprise the doctor released me for duty and told me I'd be on the next resupply bird and be joining my unit in the field. That definately busted my bubble but my gloom was only temporary. The resupply bird was full of all the guys packages from the rear as well as a hot Christmas meal. I could barely get my butt on the slick as we lifted off. As we closed in on a bombed out area where the company was I began yelling and waving as I saw my buddies getting ready to come and unload everything.

The Christmas meal was turkey with mashed potatos, stuffing, green beans with a carton of milk and some brown stuff in a cup rumored to be chocolate pudding. The box sitting there turned out to be a small Christmas tree my parents sent me.

So I got a couple of the guys (Buddha Tavitas and Pineapple Makekau) to help set up the tree and decorate it.

By now guys had been breaking open thier packages and some serious munching and partying had begun.

Most guys were pulling perimeter guard but I got about a squads worth of troops to join me.

Here's Don Moyer guarding our C-rations.

Another familiar face, 1/501 Chaplain Jerry Autry joined our party for a while also.

Spending Chistmas in the field with my buddies instead of at a USO show in the rear turned out to be the most memorable and enjoyable Christmas I've had so far.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

From Gary M. Joyner - webmaster - http://geronimo-vietnam.com